The one thing that means University is not a total waste of time is my Media Project. I won't explain fully what it is, but it's an idea that I've been mulling over for a while, and that I do intend to release to the general public after it's finished. It's entirely web based.
One section is a Flash app, to which multiple users may connect and collaberate to create a song. This takes the form of dragging and dropping samples onto a timeline. I've written a C# socket server to deal with the communication between clients. Once again I found myself in that situation of wanting to do something that I couldn't find tutorials for, so I just guessed the solution. Turned out to be a good guess; aside from a few days where I didn't realise Flash needed to be send XML in order to respond, it's going quite well. I have the communication between clients (and groups of clients) working, I have the drag and drop and sample playing working... I now need to synch the samples up between clients and then make sure the samples can stream without a problem. I think I might have this done in the next few days.
My white board is helping me plan this - yes, I got one! Pete (hero) had one all along, so I didn't even have to splash out!
I'm aware that the music section of the site is regularly down - this is because the smb share is dying every time I log out of my account on the Windows machine. I'm sure there's a way to fix this, I've done it in the past. I'll try and do it in the next few days.